There is nothing better on a weeknight than chicken tortilla soup. In addition, this soup is a complete meal in its own right, with chopped chicken and more in homemade tortillas. Chicken Tortilla Soup is reassuring, complete, and hearty. As with the Tortilla Soup and Beef Chili recipes, this Chicken Tortilla Soup is also one pot.
Adding a touch of chili powder and fire-roasted tomatoes gives what might otherwise be a rather mild bowl of soup a burst of flavor and depth. Furthermore, this soup can be enjoyed at any time of year, but in particular during the winter months. Further, we would like to point out that it comes with crispy tortilla strips, avocado, and sour cream on top as well. Let us see how the chicken noodle soup does.
What is chicken tortilla soup
As our protein scope increases, we add black beans, vegetables for added nutrition and color, and finish with canned fire-roasted tomatoes, which we enjoy for their smokiness. However, the tortillas are used as croutons at the end to create a different texture.
Tortilla soup is a type of tomato soup or chicken soup. Moreover, it originates from Mexican cuisine. In addition to corn and beans, it includes other ingredients such as jalapenos and cilantro. After being steamed, it is topped with crispy tortilla pieces and anything else you wish.
Although tortilla soup is usually made with chicken, it can also be made with lamb, beef, or seafood. In addition, boiling the protein in the soup enhances the taste in a tremendous way!
Chicken tortilla soup recipe
Heat the soup pot or Dutch oven over a medium to high heat.Then it would be best if you cooked the chopped onion, garlic, and jalapeno with a tablespoon of oil till soft.
Ingredients should be added to the pot and the chicken breasts in this soup. After getting the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low. Moreover, you have to allow it to simmer for twenty-five minutes.
With two forks, shred the chicken into a basin and add more water if necessary. Reintroduce the chicken to the saucepan and cook for another five minutes before adding the lime juice.
To serve the soup, top it with tortilla strips cooked from scratch, sliced avocado, fresh cilantro, and lime wedges.
- Olive oil, 1 tbsp
- Chopped medium onion
- Minced three cloves of garlic
- Diced jalapeno pepper
- a teaspoon of cumin
- One tablespoon of chili powder
- Two medium chicken breasts
- Crushed tomatoes, 20 oz
- Chicken broth, 32 oz
- Drained and rinsed black beans, 14 oz
- Drained and rinsed corn
- Cut 1/2 cup cilantro into quarters (reserve 1/4 for garnish)
- Juice one lime
- Add salt to taste
- Preheat a pan over medium-high heat with 1/4 cup of oil. Tortillas should be cut into thin strips and fried in batches in hot oil until crisp. Additionally, place them on a paper towel to drain after removing them from the pan. Using more oil as necessary, continue making the remaining tortilla strips, and set them aside to cool.
- Put the oil in a pan over medium heat. Moreover, Saute the onion, garlic, and jalapeno until the vegetables are soft.
- Combine all the chicken, corn, and beans, along with the chili powder, cumin, smashed tomatoes, salt, and 14 cups of cilantro. It is essential to get the mix to a boil, reduce the heat and steam for at least twenty-five minutes.
- With two forks, shred the chicken after it is removed from the pot. I would like to add the shredded chicken back into the soup and cook it for an additional five minutes before adding the lime juice.
- On the side, serve the soup with tortilla strips, avocado slices, cilantro, and lime wedges.
- Utilize Any Leftover Chicken. You can always prepare a tasty pot of Chicken Tortilla Soup with leftover chicken.
- A good bone broth is essential and you can make your own or use a low sodium bone broth. Make sure to adjust the seasoning. You can increase the amount of jalapenos in the mixture. Save time by using canned corn and beans.tilize canned corn and beans to expedite the cooking process.
- Before serving you have to cut the avocados. In order to avoid browning, chop the avocado just before serving the soup. Add salt and pepper to taste. It may be necessary to adjust the salt to taste at the end, depending on which tomatoes and broth you use.
Popularity of chicken tortilla soup
The authentic chicken tortilla soup is thick, wonderfully seasoned, and easy to make at home. It is the onion, garlic, and cilantro that give the broth its deep, rich flavor, after having been sauteed to release their flavors before adding the stock and seasonings.
There is also a significant component of cheese at the very end of this tortilla soup recipe. Additionally, you may want to add cheese and crushed tortilla chips to thicken the soup and make it seem more sumptuous.
There is so much depth and flavor packed into each cup of soup that you are sure to instantly fall in love with it.
In conclusion, the chicken tortilla soup is very popular throughout the year, but the winter season is much more popular than any other season. Because of this soup’s health benefits, it is very popular during this season as well.